Totem Pole :: A Work In Progress


Last year I began creating my own Totem Pole using a Frothy Betty kit purchased Silent Auction Fundraiser.  I had so many ideas, so many high hopes for my work of art.  So many stories it could tell!  A legacy, a masterpiece!  But I just couldn't get started.  Pressure.  What if it wasn't fabulous?  What if it didn't tell my story?  What if I made huge mistakes?  What if?  What if?  WHAT IF???

So I left it alone for a bit longer. my blank Totem Pole pieces sitting alone in a corner of The Studio.  Until one day when I just let go of all the ridiculous expectations.  So what if it wasn't fabulous?  So what if it didn't tell my story?  So what if I made huge mistakes?  Goodbye, "what if's".  You're not welcome here any more.

And so I began.  Just started.  Mucking around.  Having fun.  I painted base coats of all the colours of the rainbow, just to get some paint on the pieces.  A few months went by and I keep just having fun, adding paint, changing direction and seeing what happened.  No expectations.  No time frames.  No pressure.  Just pieces of wood, some paint, imagination and lightness.

My Totem Pole isn't finished yet, I'm not sure when it will be.  But I do know that when I look at my Totem Pole it will remind me of fun, laughter and lightness, not heavy expectation and pressure...

p.s. If you'd like to see what it turns out like you can follow Sammy Nuttall Art on facebook where I'll be posting images of my Totem Pole from time to time.

No comments: